What is Glaucoma ?
- A Progressive eye disease that damages the optic nerve.
- An untreated glaucoma can result in a gradual, irreversible loss of vision and eventually blindness.
- High intraocular pressure(IOP)is considered a risk factor for development of glaucoma.
You may be at risk for glaucoma if you :
- Are you 40 and older
- Have a family history of glaucoma
- Suffer from peripheral vision loss or high myopia
- Have diabetes,hypertension or heart disease
- Have high intraocular pressure(IOP)
- Everyone under 40 should have a comprehensive eye examination every three to four years.
- Individuals under 40 with one of the risk factors should get tested every one and a half to two years.
- Everyone 40 years or older should have a comprehensive eye examination every one and a half to two years.
- If you are 40 and have an additional risk factor,get tested annually.